Sunday 25 May 2008

La France double son aide alimentaire

France is to double it's food aid to the poor, the destitute and the suffering. From 30 to 60 millions euros.

Wow!!

I was quite surprised by the headline that stated that in Le Figaro pink pages of Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th April last. And so I continued to read on with the aid of me Hachette Dictionnaire Français-Anglais....

And then I notced that the article also had a column entitled "Ce qu'ils ont donné (*)" or as we might say... This they have given... and the list shows the following donations...

In 2005:

The United States : 4,500.
Great Britain : 628
Germany : 340
France: 67

In 2006:
United States : 3,700
Great Britain : 835
Germany : 382
France : 82

(*) In millions of dollars, US.
Source : Quai d'Orsay


Now frankly I find those sums staggering. The USA has given more than all the other three countries put together. And while I am pleased to see that Britain is at least in second place, I am ashamed, as I live and pay taxes here in France, to see how little France gives.

She may well give more in other areas than the other three listed countries, and if so, good.

But come on France. You can do better than that !

No comments: